Friends Mike and Sue Webster were looking out back yard at the Paint River, when two wolves swam across and came through the yard. Mike got a photo through a window as one of them crossed driveway. You can see the animal is young and in “creeped-out” / spooked mode. Mike and Sue have bears, wolves, deer, bobcats, otters and moose. Not too shabby for an old game warden!
Heard this week that Master Sergeant Nick Carter died in his sleep in Arkansas after a long battle with lung problems. Nick was the epitomy of a professional: calm, competent and always saw the funny side. He trained one hell of a lot of us “brown bars'” and in doing so made us all better men. Couple of years ago he wrote me a note saying something like this: “Nav, I used to watch you making notes all the time and you told us you were going to write books. I am so proud of what you’ve done, Joe.” Talk about choking me up!
I was proud to be Nick Carter’s friend and serve beside him. Rest in Peace and save a pitcher for Boss, Goose, and me when we get there with you.
- Ed Gray. General of the Army: George C. Marshall: Soldier & Statesman [NF]
- Suzanne Collins. Mockingjay.
- Patrick F. McManus. The Blight Way.
- Bill Holm. Cabins of Minnesota. [NF]
- Laurence Durrell. Bitter Lemons. [NF]
- Wm. H. Glass. Finding a Form: Essays. [NF]
- Tom Franklin. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.
- Wallace Stevens. The Necessary Angel: Essays on Reality and the Imagination. [NF]
- Rob Ruck. The Tropic of Baseball: Baseball in the Dominican Republic. [NF]
- H.A. Dorfman & Karl Kuell. The Mental Game of Baseball: A Guide to Peak Performance. [NF]
- Joseph Heywood. Red Jacket. [Proofs]
- John Fowles. Wormholes: Essays and Occasional Writings. [NF]
- Joseph Heywood. Killing a Cold One. [MS]
- E.M. Forster. Aspects of the Novel. [NF]
- David Lodge. The Art of Fiction. [NF]
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The General in His Labyrinth.
- Tim Parks. Hell and Back: Reflections on Writers and Writing, From Dante to Rushdie. [NF]
- Cordelia Candelaria. Seeking the Perfect Game: Baseball in America’s Literature. [NF]
- Philip Kerr. Prague Fatale.
- Robert N. Bellah, et al. Habits of the Heart. [NF]
- Michigan Department of Natural Resoures. Law Enforcement 12th Anniversary [MS- Proofs]
- Marc Bloch. The Historian’s Craft [NF]
- Robert W. Henderson. Ball, Bat and Bishop: The Origin of Ball Games. [NF]
- Carlo Ginzburg. The Cheese and the Worm. [NF]
- Carlo Ginzburg. Clues, Myths and the Historical Method. [NF]